Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Pilot Wings OST

I touched upon the Pilot Wings OST in an earlier post (NSFW), but it's so good I think it deserves a seperate archival post.

Pilotwings was a launch title for the N64 back in 1996 (Or march 1 1997 if you were in the PAL region) It was developed by Paradigm Entertainment in tandem with Nintendo. The gist of the development saga is covered on the wikipedia page. Company is good at graphics, Nintendo approaches them, a game is made. Now that I think about it, that's actually dead on with what they (Nintendo) did earlier on with Starfox on the SNES.

The soundtrack was composed by Dan Hess, and (in my opinion) is nothing less than a masterwork of smooth tunes. Some people have said to me that they find the slow paced music boring so, it's not for everyone clearly. But for me the relaxing tunes go perfectly with the game, even if it is sometimes juxtaposed with my mounting fustration in the cave levels. If you enjoy this you may also like the Chrono Trigger jazz remix album. Track one is over here.

As a side note according to the wikipedia page Paradigm Entertainment was closed by THQ in 2008. Not many companies seem to last long in the video game world. If I have the time I'll make a flow chart some day.

Edit: I found those scans I mentioned. Wait no, somehow I didn't mention them.
The pages below are from Retro Gamer a british magazine which covers the old school, at one point Pilot WIngs 64 got a two page spread and they tracked down some of the people involved in making it.

Click on them for the larger image that you can actually read!



Enjoy!


Mediafire

No comments:

Post a Comment